Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Romare Bearden

MY first impression of the work in the show of Romare Bearden was one of being unimpressed. Speaking critically I found the colours he used at worst garish and at best uninspiring. Also I found his compositions to be a total mess. There were two things which popped out to me in the first room which was a piece on pattern which I didn't find very bad, not good but also not bad. The piece I actually liked in there was his indigenous African inspired mask and then in the next few rooms was his full figure sculpture of one of these tribal African males. Other than that, the pieces on display had much in common with the work from the first room and so I had gazed quickly through the rest finding nothing else to my liking.

My interests here are based off an interest in archaeology and ancient peoples and the influence of their artwork and way of life on the present as opposed to the presents impact on the future. Partially because in his show I couldn't see the ways in which he influenced the art of today, at least not so much the artwork I look at on my own time.

No comments:

Post a Comment